Our Commitment to Applicants
We know applying for and taking on a new a job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Jewel Friends.
Unfortunately, the hiring process at many companies feels like a black box. You apply, wait for weeks, and never hear back—and you're left wondering why you even applied in the first place. The lack of communication reinforces self-doubt and imposter syndrome grows. Applying for a new role takes courage, and it's hard to muster that courage when—more often than not—your only reward is silence.
Our hiring process is different at Jewel Friends. We want you to know that when you apply for a role, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
To be completely transparent, here's what happens when you apply for a position at Jewel Friends.
- Applying: When you apply for a role at Jewel Friends, the application goes into our application tracking software. Here, a hiring team of three to four people—people you will work closely with if you are hired for this role—will review your application.
- Evaluation: The application is then evaluated based on evidence that demonstrates you have the relevant skills for the job. We also evaluate each applicant's writing and communication skills, along with their knowledge of Jewel Friends as a company and a product. We realize that no candidate is flawless, so we look for candidates who excel in one or two skills, and then build teams around these people to supplement where teammates aren't as strong.
- Job Fit Interview: Once we have reviewed the initial batch of applicants, the top five to ten applicants join for a video conversation about the role with the hiring manager. Here you'll be asked questions that dig into your relevant experience for this role, and you'll have a chance to evaluate whether or not Jewel Friends matches up with the values you want to have in an employer. If you don't make it to this step, you'll hear back from us letting you know we're passing over your application for this role.
- Skills Interview: After talking with the hiring manager, you'll go through a skills interview with the hiring team. Typically this interview is done over a Zoom audio or video call, or a take home skills test where applicable. This is a practical evaluation to see if you have the relevant skills to succeed in the role. You won't be evaluated on skills that don't matter. For example, we won't give whiteboard algorithm quizzes, or ask you how many golf balls could fit inside a school bus. If you don't make it to this step, you'll hear back from us letting you know we're passing over your application for this role. For some positions, we'll also evaluate relevant skills by administering a short exercise done outside of the interview.
- Final Interview: Following interview stages that involve your future manager and teammates, the last stage has you speaking with employees of Jewel Friends across departments. In this hour-long interview, you'll be asked behavioral questions about your work style. You'll also be given the opportunity to learn more about working at Jewel Friends through new perspectives.
- Final Decision: After the final interview, we evaluate each candidate who made it to this stage, and the hiring team makes a decision. If multiple candidates meet our hiring bar, we'll select the best candidate and ask for references. If no candidates meet the hiring bar, we then solicit more candidates and repeat at step two.
- Reference Checks: During the reference check, we reach out to the references you provided to get a better idea of what it's like to work with you. We promise that we will never reach out to your existing employer without your permission.
- Offer: Once references are complete, we'll make an offer to you including details about salary, benefits and other relevant compensation details. Hopefully, you'll accept the offer and we can start working out a start date and onboarding plan.
At each point in this process, we promise not to go silent on you. We strive to never go more than seven days without letting you know the status of your application.
Thank you for considering a career at Jewel Friends, and I hope this will encourage you to take that leap of faith and send in an application.